Gary Bencivenga is considered a formidable powerhouse in the copywriting and persuasion field. Several years ago Gary wrote 29 ‘bullets’ to share with his fellow marketers and dispensed them over time via email. These golden bullets are as applicable to your marketing efforts today as the day they were written.
Last month we shared copywriting bullet points 15-21 in greatly condensed form, and this month we’re covering bullets 22-29 in the final segment of our continuing series to bolster your marketing and persuasion efforts:
– 16 Rules for Success. This list of rules actually originated from Bob Parsons, but Gary thought so highly of them he republished the entire list as bullet #22. Gary’s favorite’s? Rule #10, followed by Rules #1, #3, #6 and #16.
Bob Parsons’ 16 Rules to Live By:
– The One Word That Teaches Almost Everything. Gary noticed that in his daily crush of marketing emails, he deleted nearly every one except for the Gary Halbert Letter. He would always open this one as soon as it hit his mailbox. So he asked the most instructive word in the English Language – Why? And came up with these 4 reasons:
– The “Borden Formula for Giving a Great Speech or Writing a Potent Headline. To give a great speech, imagine your audience shouting out these four emotional outbursts as you give your talk: “Ho hum!” “Why bring that up!” “For instance?” “So what?” This then becomes your outline as well as the reactions you are most trying to avoid.
– The “Golden Key” of Persuasion. You can easily become one of the most persuasive people on the planet if you learn how to effectively use metaphors, because nothing persuades as quickly, effectively, memorably or permanently as a well-crafted metaphor.
– The #1 Strategy for Exploding Your Productivity This Year. Just 20% of your daily activities are responsible for 80% of your success, income and personal happiness. Figure out what those 20% are and give them 80% or more of your time.
– The 3 Greatest Copywriting Lessons I Have Ever Learned. First, nothing matters in copywriting beyond results. You either get them or you don’t. To get results, you’ve got to realize that:
1. Copywriting is salesmanship in print, not clever wordsmithing.
2. Like it or not, it takes a good deal of research to write great copy.
3. Great marketing and copywriting require a great deal of thinking.
– 3 Secrets for Multiplying Your Productivity, Success, Income and Personal Happiness as a Marketer.
1. Apply the 80/20 rule to EVERYTHING and focus on your big pay off activities.
2. Harness your own “Hour of power,” by writing for a solid hour before you do anything else each day.
3. Give your biggest problem to your subconscious to figure out just before you go to sleep. For example, if you need a headline, tell your subconscious to find one for you while you sleep.
– The Secret of How to Sell Anything. You cannot motivate others to want something they don’t already want. You can’t create motivation, it must already be there inside your prospect. That’s why the secret to selling is to find out what people want and help them get it.
Download’able Quote Card “Copywriting Bullet Points The Right Way : Part 3″